Thursday, April 18, 2013

The Goat Lady Chronicles: The Beginning


The Beginning
 Every adventure has a beginning. My goat adventure started as it does with many- in a book! I had been reading about homesteading, most especially the Back to Basics book and I noticed goats for the first time. I mean, I'd always known about goats, but never knew just how incredible they were!
 From there my interest was peaked, so I grabbed all the books I could from the library on goats and I fell in love with the creatures!
 Tilly Mae- first day at Dozen Acre Farm
 From then on, I prayed, asked my father, talked to my good friend Lori and the Lord provided the things I needed to be a goad lady: permission from my Dad, a place for my goat to live, a friend to join me in the journey and the funds. Thus Tilly Mae made her way to Dozen Acre Farm and has been quite content since!
 Little Ginny- her first day on the farm
 Marshall feeding Tilly some grain
 Caleb getting friendly with Tilly
 Goats have personality, production and are relatively easy to care for. Of course, it may be a little easier for me as they aren't on my property, but I haven't heard Lori complain too much about problems. Maybe she's keeping secrets from me.....
 Jersey Rae- her first day at Dozen Acre
Goats can be best described by my friend Tyler,"They're like productive dogs." They're as fun and enjoyable as any cat or dog, yet they contribute to the farm and family economy by providing milk, manure for compost and clearing away brush. I'm so thankful that God has enabled me to be a part of this adventure and would encourage any who are able to join in!

1 comment:

  1. She is so little!! I don't even remember her that small!

    ReplyDelete